Highgate 3 Wath Victoria 1

Highgate : Jefferson (captain), Ashmore, Charlie Yates, Gillis, Deakin, Holden, Battersby, Hopper and Smith (goalie). Possibly Goodall too.

Replay:  First match 1-1


Final report
Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 03 April 1931

First Final

Scorers:  Wadsworth (Victoria)  Deakin (Highgate)

First match was played on Goldthorpe United ground.  Replay was played at Wath Victoria (8/4/31).

The final of the Totty Cup between Highgate and Wath Victoria on the Goldthorpe United ground on Monday evening produced one of the finest schoolboy games of the season.  A splendid crowd assembled and for full 70 minutes had a hectic time.  Highgate had the advantage of a breeze in the first half but had to play up the slope.  For a period the Highgate boys had the better of the play and attacked repeatedly.  Jefferson supported his forwards and although they showed plenty of energy they found the Victoria defenders in good form.  The half-backs Mell, Wadeworth and Waggitt were marking their men effectively and on the occasions when the forwards eluded their halves, Stevenson nipped in and prevented them from coming too close.

Eventually Victoria went away with Mallinder, Bawson and Pyatt conspicuous but were unable to find the net.  Play continued at fast pace with each team attacking in turn.  The big ground rendered Highgate less effective than usual, many of their well intended passes just falling short.  The respective defences however, were kicking strongly as they were chiefly responsible for the speedy transferring of play from one half to the other.  One period of pressure by Highgate seemed certain to produce a goal.  The ball hovered in the vicinity of the Victoria goal for a long period and clever headwork by Wadsworth and Stevenson repeatedly kept their goal in tact.  Several corners by Deakin and Ashmore were accurately placed, but the defenders prevailed.  Eventually Highgate took the lead.  Good play on the left resulted in the ball being swung across the middle.  Yates headed over Stevenson and Deakin nipped in to head a beautiful goal.  Shortly afterwards Goodall struck the crossbar with a well timed shot from just outside the penalty area.  In the closing stages of the half, Wath Victoria took up the attack.  Pyatt broke away on the right and Mallinder pounced on the winger’s centre but from close range he failed to beat Smith who held a difficult ball well.

Almost straight from the restart Victoria equalised.  Wadsworth kicked the ball forward and Mallinder was fouled just outside the penalty area.  Mell took the kick and Wadsworth who had taken up an advanced position hooked the ball with his left foot well wide of Smith.  Although Highgate retaliated they could not break through a dour defence.  Their inside-forwards were inclined to play a little too close and consequently lost touch with their outside men.  Then came a sustained attack by Victoria in which Rawson was very prominent.  As the excitement increased, the lads redoubled their efforts, each team making strenuous efforts to secure the winning goal but the respective defences prevailed.  For Highgate Jefferson was outstanding, while the backs did useful work.  Of the forwards, Yates was the most enterprising.  For Victoria Wadsworth did a tremendous amount of work and was well supported by Mell and Waggitt.  Stevenson was a power of strength at full back.  Rawson was a thrustful leader.  The match was to be replayed at the Wath Athletic ground on Wednesday evening.

Semi Final:  Highgate beat Park Road

Mexborough & Swinton Times - Friday 20 February 1931

“John Gaunt first boy wearing his football shirt from the left.” Mark Johnson

Charlie Towsend behind the small cup. Credit (John Towsend)

Swinton Bridge

If you have anymore information on this final, or previous rounds, please fill in the Contact Form below.

Leave a Reply